2007 Ranger vibration issue

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by teddy, Jul 25, 2020.

1. teddy

teddy New Member

Hello,
    In December, I purchased a super clean pre-owned 2007 Ranger 2.3 5M standard cab with less than 56k on the odometer. I have only driven it a handful of times as it is my 2nd vehicle but will become my primary soon. I have noticed the 'vibration at about 45 mph' problem I have read about on forums ad nauseum. Is it something as simple as the u-joint replacement? Ford trucks are new to me but I would like to take it to an experienced Ranger mechanic for a diagnosis. What would any of the more experienced members on this forum suggest my first move be? Thank you in advance.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Charles Devore

Charles Devore New Member

Check your front end camber specs. they make a kit to bring the camber into specs

4. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

teddy,

Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or the whole truck?
    Vibrations that come in and out at certain speeds are usually wheel/tire related.
    I'd take it to Les Schwab and have the balance on the tires checked.
    Might also be a bent rim or a tire with a broken sidewall (dangerous!).
    If all 4 wheels/tires check out, look at the drive shaft....could be bent....could've thrown a weight...could be U-Joint replaced out of synch....if articulated, could've been taken apart and reassembled out of synch....

5. OP
    teddy

teddy New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I can feel the vibration in the seat for sure much more than the steering wheel. Braking is smooth and I noticed the shift lever vibrates pretty good as well. I don't think it's a very serious problem and Les Schwab is not too far from me. I suppose I could visit Northside Ford Trucks but I would like to avoid the dealer option and find a decent Ranger mechanic. I am in Portland OR.

6. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

If you feel it in the seat, then the vibration could very well be coming from the rear wheels/tires.
    If you felt it in the steering wheel, I'd say the vibration could be coming from the front wheels/tires.
    Yeah, take it to Les Schwab. They do suspension and driveline work, too, so they may be able to trace your problem directly to its actual source.
    Good luck and let us know what you find out.

7. OP
    teddy

teddy New Member

I will do that. Thanks for the suggestions.

8. OP
    teddy

teddy New Member

Okay, something as simple as a bulging tire problem on the passenger rear tire and a split sidewall on the inside of the driver side rear tire. Not what I wanted to spend for a fix, but new shoes all around was the solution. NOW I feel safe driving this truck and it goes down the road smooth as silk. Thanks for the suggestions all!

9. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Yep.
    Glad the problem was as easy a fix as new tires.
    Happy motoring! =)

10. Moparguy

Moparguy New Member

I was just surprised with a 2000 ranger V6. when going slow the steering wheel vibrates a lot and the power steering pump is louder than the engine. upon closer inspection there is an inch of scum in the fluid reservoir and...guess what... NO FLUID!!! also neither the temp gauge or the gas gauge work. what is the fix for that? blown fuse?? I have no ideer

11. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

...a better question might be...what the heck is a Moparguy doing at a Ford forum?!...I think I see the lynch mob heading your way.

12. Moparguy

Moparguy New Member

nah I got a steal on this I couldn't' pass up. I got an 82 dodge ram long bed an 85 ram prospector short bed and a 79 ramcharger. I was gonna flip it but I'm kind of falling in love with the ranger

13. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Yeah, I figured. That was more joke than anything else (note to self: remember to post emoticons next time!).
    Have you tried putting fluid in it yet?
    I bet it has a leaky line somewhere. Common with Ford PS systems for years.
    I had the dealership take care of my truck when my rack went out. $1900, new rack, new pump, new lines. Ouch, but at least it works now.
    If you do it yourself, you'll probably only have to pay out about half.

14. Moparguy

Moparguy New Member

As it ended up there was a broken bolt on the control arm and one of the tie rods was falling apart. power steering fluid made it a little better but when I got it inspected the mechanic found those 2 things. steers like buttah now

DeanMk likes this.
  15. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Yep, having all the fasteners in place and torqued down usually helps. ;)

16. Moparguy

Moparguy New Member

yeah they tend to do that. at about 60 cruising on the interstate it gets the shakes, is that the U-joints? the mechanic did a complete look over and saw nothing, what usually causes this?

17. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Tires/wheels.
    Take it to Lester, see what they say.

18. Moparguy

Moparguy New Member

first off, who's lester? second, we just bought new tires/wheels for it and checked them before we bought them.

19. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Les is short for Lester...so...Les Schwab.
    After that, could be a bunch of things.
    What did you do to the truck before the shaking started, or has it always shook @ 60? (since you've owned it, that is)

20. Moparguy

Moparguy New Member

it's only once in a while. not everytime it's at 60 but yeah since i've had it it's done that

21. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

I'm thinking something's loose or wearing out to the point to where its shaking at that speed (harmonic vibration).
    Check it yourself. I'm thinking your mechanic missed something.

Dean