2000 4.0 suddenly runs very bad and shakes

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by socova, Jul 7, 2013.

1. socova

socova New Member

Three days ago my 2000 4.0 Ranger XLT Supercab started missing. It will miss and shake badly for 4-5 seconds and mostly clear up then repeat. Begins at startup, engine cold or warm. It has 245k miles that are mostly highway and factory build-no mods. There was a fuel fill up about three days back, otherwise nothing more to add. It has been great truck and I want to drive on into my retirement. I have a garage and am capable of the work but have no ideas other than blindly shotgunning parts. Help me please.:(

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

did it start after the fill up?

4. OP
    socova

socova New Member

Yes. Probably driven 20 miles after fillup. I'm going to autozone, get them to read the cel codes, will post them soon.
    check engine code p0303 was in memory, cylinder 3 misfire. no surprise that some are missing. they want to sell me plugs and wires.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  5. 98Range-R

98Range-R New Member

1st Time Poster.. Great forum you guys got going here..

Not to hijack your thread socova but I have a 98 Ranger 4.0L with the exact same issues but I don't think it has anything to do with a tank of gas.

The recommendations made to me so far have been:

- Plugs & Wires
    - Fuel Filter
    - Clean/ Replace MAF

I'm going to work my way through that list once I have some time.. Starting with the cheapest fixes first of course. Hope that helps.

6. Belvader

Belvader New Member

slow down