2000 2.5L random start stall problem

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Mo78223, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Mo78223

Mo78223 New Member

I've checked most parts of the Internet for advice on a particular problem I'm facing on my 2000 ranger,

vehicle specs:00 ranger XL single cab
    5speed, 2.5L, 120k miles. 2wd

The problem is very random, happens hot or cold, when I fire up the truck, it starts fine, then as the engine is about to hold idle it bogs and dies, ill crank it a second time and no start just turns over, fire up a 3 time and it turns on and idles perfect, also the truck runs like new, no problems what so ever besides this one that has me stumped, I have replaced plugs,wires, fuel filter, etc, all basic tuneup parts.

To try and fix the problem directly I have changed the iac, tps, cleaned the throttle body like new, cat converter checks out fine. before throwing anymore money at this I wanted to get some advice in case someone else has experienced this same type of problem.

What makes it hard to diagnose is that it is very random, can happen every single startup in a day or will do it once a day, again, once started the truck drives strong, never stalls, no loss of power, no shaking or hesitation at all.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Have you checked the coil pack?

4. OP
    Mo78223

Mo78223 New Member

I have not, ill buy one tomorrow from autozone and drive around with it, if it fixes it ill go buy a good one, if not ill return it.

Forgot to mention the truck has no check engine light on, nor any saved codes, anything else I should try?

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I'm not sure, I can go on my experience alone and I had a similar problem, put 1k into looking for the fix and when it finally got to a mechanic it was coil pack, wire and plugs. I heard all sorts of trouble shooting advice from people but I should have taken it to a mechanic prior to dumping so much into it. My truck never showed a code either with my issue. If it isnt a coil pack, I suggest taking it to a mechanic if you arent one.

6. OP
    Mo78223

Mo78223 New Member

Hooligan,

I just purchased a BWD Coil pack from Oreilly's, ill have it installed tomorrow, i hope That this is indeed the problem, I too have taken my truck to get a mechanic's opinion on the matter, both said different and none referred to the coil pack, needless to say their diagnosis didn't work. There are mechanic's on every corner here in South Texas but sadly the "good" ones always have too much work to even check a vehicle.

Thank you for this helpful advice, I will report back here tomorrow after work with my result's.

Venetia Kelley likes this.
  7. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Good deal and good luck, I hope it works. You're right about the different kinds of mechanics, hopefully you can find a real good one that will find the issue if the coil pack doesnt do the trick.

8. rangerjeff

rangerjeff New Member

hey mo just read your thread and i had same problem with my 00' 2.5 auto and hooligan is right, the 8 plugs causes the coil pack to work very hard . i have a friend that helps me with alot of my ranger stuff but you just cant beat the members here they are very helpful . welcome to our community and good luck luck with your ranger .

9. OP
    Mo78223

Mo78223 New Member

Hooligan,

After changing the coil packs the problem seems to have gone away, can't thank you enough for the valuable advice.

Rangerjeff,

Thank you for the welcome, feels good to finally have my ranger back on the road.

Venetia Kelley likes this.
  10. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

That is great news my friend! Best of luck with it!

11. rangerjeff

rangerjeff New Member

back on the road again

glad to hear your wheels are spinning again the 2.5 is a great engine . later my friend