1999 Ford Ranger Head gasket replacement!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kjohn2007, Jan 11, 2012.

1. kjohn2007

kjohn2007 Keith

I have a 1999 Ford Ranger 4.0 4x4! I had to replace both cylinder heads on my ranger. My question is on the head gasket it says top front on it and I was just wanting to make sure is that the way that its suppose to be facing up?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. if it shows top and front that is the way

4. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

top will go up towards the head and front will go towards the nose of the truck.

5. OP
    kjohn2007

kjohn2007 Keith

Ok thanks I was just wanting to make sure. Its just one of those things I wanted to make sure that was done right were I dint want to have to tear it all back down lol.

6. make sure you torque them down right too

7. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Do NOT use FelPro Head bolts. I had a set fail on me.

8. OP
    kjohn2007

kjohn2007 Keith

Would you have to know what the Torque specs are. The place were i got my heads they are a racing shop and everything the told me the torque specs are:

1 48 lbs
    2 60 lbs
    3 Then another 85 degree turn.

9. Brinker88

Haynes said another 90 degrees I believe.

10. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

Torque sequence ------------ | 6 2 4 8 | | 5 3 1 7 | ------------ Step 1: torque in sequence to 48 Ft/Lbs Step 2: torque in sequence to 62 Ft/Lbs Step 3: tighten all bolts in sequence an additional 90 degrees recheck final torque in sequence *** CAUTION ***engine uses Torque To Yield head bolts (TTY) thatpermanently stretch during the initial installation.New head bolts must be used when cylinder head isreplaced or re-installed to obtain proper torque.

here is the torque specs per autozone.....

11. Brinker88