1998 Ranger 4WD Problem ????

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by DarkWaveV2, Dec 30, 2012.

1. DarkWaveV2

DarkWaveV2 New Member

I own a 1998 Ford Ranger 4WD 4.0L V6 and I had to put it in 4WD the other day. When I did it shifted into 4HI like its suppose to but when I tried to shift it back to 2HI I got a clicking sound from under the dash, which sounds like a relay trying to switch over, then the 4HI and 4LO lights on the dash started flashing. They flash six times every two min. I have had a loose switch on the dash for a while so I changed that out but it didn't fix anything.

After further troubleshooting I discovered that if I let the truck sit for 10-15 min or more and leave the switch in 4HI I can start the truck and the dash light will just stay on 4HI. I can also change the gears between 4HI and 4LO but when i try to go back to 2HI i get the clicking noise and then the flashing 4HI and 4LO lights. I work quite a bit so I don't get a lot of time to work on my truck but I need to know where to start. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate the input.

Thanks,

DarkWaveV2

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

Alright I'm sorry to inform you but you had the same problem I did. My Ford dealership told me to shift in and ut of 4x4 like crazy and it would start working correctly, but not forever. So you have a bad vacuum line system set up in this truck. You can A) Go expensive and have all the vaccum lines replaced and it work fine, or B) Lift the front of the truck up on jack stands take the front 2 tires off and take the hub cover off and Remove the metal T clip thats inside the white casing reassemble the hub and put the tires back on lower the truck, and you can now go in and out of 4x4 with no problem. You will now have a live axle setup like the 2000.5- and up ranger 4x4 system setup. Choice is yours.

stoge52 likes this.
  4. gcextreme

gcextreme GCEXTREME Vendor

No no.

First check to see if your dome light works...it and the 4wd are tied to a relay under the dash. If the dome doesn't work when your 4wd lights are flashing it could be a bad connection at that relay. That was one issue i had.