1997 with no speedometer and abs light on

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by sharkbite, Jun 29, 2012.

1. sharkbite

sharkbite New Member

hello, I have ( actually 16 year old daughter) a 1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2wd 4.0. that the speedometer.odometer and trip meter are not working. The abs light has come on also. I have changed the VSS on the transmission and the speed sensor on the rear axle. Any clues as to what I am missing? thanks

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

It could be the cluster is bad, the ABS light may be a bad sensor in the hub

Welcome to the site

4. OP
    sharkbite

sharkbite New Member

Even with the other gauges working? Is that a common thing? and thank you for the welcome

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

It could be that the cluster just died....I havent seen it much but thats my thoughts on it

6. OP
    sharkbite

sharkbite New Member

thanks for your thoughts I'll pull the dash and see what I may find. thanks again

7. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Anytime, if you can get a spare cluster cheap try it out and see what that does

8. I had that happen when I had a blown fuse, I acidentally shorted out a wire which blew the fuse. so double check all fuses

9. OP
    sharkbite

sharkbite New Member

changd the fuse in lacation 19 which is the ignition and PCM control fuse and the speedometer is now working. Still working on the ABS. thanks for all the help so far

10. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Good deal! Check the sensors on that ABS light, may be a bad sensor

11. OP
    sharkbite

sharkbite New Member

it went out again I now have the whole dash pulled trying to find any indicators. The VSS and abs sensor have been changed now trying to find a cluster and hints

12. did it blow the fuse again? if so look for a pinched wire, do you have a ohc installed?