1997 3.0 into a 98?

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by gcextreme, Mar 11, 2012.

1. gcextreme

gcextreme GCEXTREME Vendor

I have a 98 3.0 ext cab auto 4x4 truck with a bad motor.
    I found a 97 3.0 motor for sale, will it fit and work in a 98?
    Its from a 97 ext cab ranger 4x4 that was wrecked, driver side door damaged and bed damaged. Guy is parting it out. Wants $300 for engine.

Is that a good price?

Please note.. i have two rangers, a 1999 3.0 (my daily driver) and a 1998 3.0 (my project truck, has bad motor)
    Wanting to put this 1997 3.0 into the 1998.

Please advise.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Rangeredgewhite

Rangeredgewhite Ranger>Tacoma

if there both originally OHV's then yes

4. OP
    gcextreme

What is OHV?
    How do i determine if my 98 is an OHV and if the 97 is?

5. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

i say it should but i never swoped from gens like that

6. It should be an OHV. Overhead valve. Only the 4.0 came with the SOHC, or single overhead cam as far as I know.... But I could be wrong.

7. Rangeredgewhite

Rangeredgewhite Ranger>Tacoma

oh wait i didnt see that it was a 3.0 nvm

8. OP
    gcextreme

Yea its just the 3.0... i dont know when/what they changed over the years, but i can park my 99 3.0 next to the 98 3.0 and they look 100% the same...
    But i think the ODB system changed from 98-99.. My flashpaq programmer says it only works for 99-10 rangers... so something with the computer is different between 98 and 99... but what about 97 and 98?

I figure the engine blocks are the same?

The guy is selling me the whole engine, all the stuff on it, etc..
    But i should be able to still use alot of the other stuff from the 98 trucks motor.

Also, when i get this motor, what should i do to it before i drop it in?
    Replace some gaskets, etc... just give me some ideas of stuff i should replace while i have it out?

9. Not sure when they changed from OBD I to OBD II... It should be the same though if your programmer is good for 99-10. I doubt they would have changed it to a different one for a year.

10. OP
    gcextreme

So i figure if 98 has OBD I and 99 has OBD II, its safe to say that 1997 would have OBD I as well... so in theory the electronics from 97 to 98 would be the same?

11. I would assume so. I'm trying to think of who the engine guru is on here.... Brinker88 should know more than me, so I'm gonna say talk to him before I steer you wrong lol

12. OP
    gcextreme

Ok about buying a 3.0 motor from a 1997 Ranger, and putting into my 1998 Ranger project.
    The guy wants $300 for the motor. Has 120K miles on it.
    He informed me today, he will also sell me the transfercase and transmission, for an extra $100.

That is a great deal... i think...

But i need to know if the transmission and t-case will work in the 98???

I know the motor/block will work, but not sure about tranny and t-case.

I would like to get some advice FAST!!!! Going to get the motor tomorrow, its an hour n half drive... and i dont want to miss out on the tranny and t-case if it will work!!!

THANKS

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012