1988 Ranger Air Conditioning??

Discussion in '1983 - 1988 Ford Ranger' started by LaPistola, Sep 11, 2012.

1. LaPistola

LaPistola New Member

So, I know you will all think I'm an idiot, and thats ok...I'm kinda feelin like one, especially since this is my 3rd 1988 Ford. First was my mustang, 14 years ago. Then my 351 Bronco, Now this...

So, I bought this on a whim because I needed something better on gas and it runs perfectly. The seller told me that it only needed a new AC compressor to get it workin again...Well, come to find out, after an auto mechanic buddy of mine was scoping it out this evening, that it never even had AC...(myself and crew build bikes, so thats what I know best)

So my question is, If this is supposedly an XLT, is this even possible? I've been doing a lot of post purchase research and I see very little mention of an XLT 2L 4cyl single cab, and more mention of an S model...

So can anyone give me some input here? Naturally, tomorrow I'll be rolling back to the dudes house with a few of my crew and an ultimatum, confident I'll be leaving with a couple hundred back in my pocket... But I would like to know for sure, from folks who know this truck, exactly what the deal is...

Any info will be immensely appreciated.

-Pete

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

It is possible if I remember correct back in 88 a/c was still an option that you could get vehicles with out.

4. adsm08

adsm08 New Member

Well, A/C was an option that year. And not a common one either.

The quick and dirty way to tell if it ever had A/C is to look at the climate control head. If it had A/C there will be a button near the middle that says "Air conditioning" and has a little blue light on it.

But XLT is just a trim package and doesn't mean much for real options. Both of mine are XLTs, my 87 never had air, my 88 does have it.

The "S" trim was the most stripped down version, and is the only pack that means anything. It was a 4-cyl (2.0) manual trans, 2wd, standard cab short bed, 14 inch steel rims.