1988 Bronco II tailights

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Terry, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Terry

Terry New Member

Hello I have a 1988 bronco II and my right taillight is dimmer than the left and when I tur n on my left turn signal my right parking light goes out. My turn signal switch is going bad. Could that be the problem.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

I'm thinking grounding.
    Once a ground goes bad in one area electricity will find the path of least resistance and go there.
    In turn sometimes it has to use the same wiring as other lights do and causes light problems that are hard to locate.

1) Check grounding
    2) Pull the build, check the socket to see if corrosion is the culprit.
    3) if no grounding is visible and the socket looks good, add a wire from either the socket outer casing or the light housing, close to the socket, to a good bare metal frame location.
    4) if none of this helps, then we need to trace wiring back to the switch, look for cracked, corroded, broken wiring.
    5) If you find a problem it is better to run a new wire to the rear

In fact if your wiring looks bad run new wires to all of your lighting and run a separate ground wire from the battery to the rear of the vehicle as a base ground for all your lights, size it for total amperage, maybe a 10-ga fine strand wire will works wonders for lighting.

Most people thing the frame is the end all for grounding since it is metal and a l or of it but although it is a good ground in general it is subject to corrosion and bad connections causing problems.

Sorry got carried away, luck on your hunt.
    Post your findings and what you did to correct if anything.